Welcome Letter from Dr. Setareh Tais, ND
I’m so glad you found me! My name is Setareh Tais, and I am licensed by the State of California to practice naturopathic family medicine. My practice blends modern science, evidence-based research on natural medicines, integrative clinical experience and naturopathic medical philosophy.
My interest in natural and holistic medicine began when I was an undergrad at the University of California, San Diego studying Animal Physiology and Neuroscience. I was on a pre-med track and had my heart set on becoming a doctor. Like most of us, I have a personal story that led me to pursue and appreciate natural and integrative medicine. During college I became more inquisitive about my father’s medical care. I was perplexed that his medical doctor was managing his high cholesterol with medication alone, while ignoring his dietary habits and sedentary lifestyle. Soon after my father started his Lipitor prescription (a statin medication with diabetes and memory loss as new FDA warnings), he began to experience severe muscle pain that caused him to stay in bed applying ice packs to his sore muscles. My father had developed “statin-induced myopathy” which is a well-known side effect of statin medications and was told by his doctor to stop taking his cholesterol-lowering medication. With a little bit of education and encouragement, my father became motivated to begin exercising and improving his diet. He got a gym membership, started riding his bike, and eating salad with his dinner every night. Now 16 years later, he has excellent cholesterol and blood pressure, he is still exercising and eating well, and he doesn’t take any prescription medications.
My father’s medical history reinforced my belief that naturopathic medicine is strongly needed in the United States, especially for patients who don’t tolerate their medications or for patients who have a philosophical preference to avoid unnecessary medications. While all forms of medicines have a place in today’s health care, I enjoy offering an integrative approach to medicine from natural medicines to dietary and lifestyle modifications to prescription drugs when/if they are necessary. In 2004, I attended Bastyr University in Seattle, WA and after graduation I completed a unique holistic and integrative family medicine residency. During this time, I completed a challenging and busy program dedicated to clinical training in both naturopathic medicine and conventional medicine (Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Reproductive Endocrinology, Gynecology and Cardiology).
I have moved back to Fresno in 2013 to offer naturopathic medicine at Fresno Holistic Medicine. My goals are to determine the underlying cause of illness and to work with you on disease prevention and improving general health. Treatment plans extend beyond a prescription pad, are individualized and treat the whole you, and utilize current scientific evidence.
Naturopathic medicine is not just a cool trend I jumped into later in my career, I had to study it and apprentice with other naturopathic doctors before I was even eligible to apply to naturopathic medical school in 2004! It is truly an honor to be entrusted with your care and serve as your local naturopathic doctor.
I am looking forward to meeting you!
Yours in Health,
Education and Credentials:
- Licensed to practice medicine by the California Naturopathic Medicine Committee
- Residency in Naturopathic Family Medicine, 2009-2012
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine from Bastyr University, 2009
- Bachelor of Science in Animal Physiology and Neuroscience from UCSD, 2000-2004
Leadership Roles and Professional Achievements
- Immediate Past-President of the California Naturopathic Doctors Association, 2014-2016
- Founding Treasurer and Director of the Endocrinology Association of Naturopathic Physicians, 2014-2016
- Board member, Professional Development Co-Chair and Public Affairs Co-Chair of the California Naturopathic Doctors Association, 2012-2016
- Board member of the Washington Association of Naturopathic Physicians, 2010-2012
Random facts about me:
- I have 2 sons who are my favorite people on the planet.
- I grew up in Fresno and attended Clovis West High School (c-dub pride!)
- I love to run which to the keen observer is more like a slow jog
- I really love to paint, but am guilty of not doing so as frequently as I want. You can see some of my paintings around the office.
- I am a Gemini
- I have been married for over 14 years